THE SA WRITERS’ COLLEGE
2015 Annual Short Story Award
For Emerging Writers in South Africa
This competition is to acknowledge excellence in creative writing in the Short Story genre. The contest is open to any emerging writer residing in South Africa who has had fewer than four stories/articles published in any format (print or digital).
To celebrate our anniversary of ten successful years at SA Writers' College, we are offering bumper prizes in 2015.
- First Prize: R 10 000.00
- Second Prize: R 5 000.00
- Third Prize: R 2 000.00
The top five entries will be published on our college site and the top five winners will receive editorial comments on their submitted works.
GUIDELINES FOR ENTRIES:
- Entry is limited to South African residents only.
- Entrants must submit a story of maximum word count: 2000 words. Any entries exceeding the word count by 50 words will not be considered.
- Writers can interpret and represent the theme in any way they choose. Stories that appear to be entirely unrelated to the theme will not be considered.
- We strongly recommend that writers read through the competition archives or the past winning stories to see what kind of writing appeals to us at SA Writers' College. We enjoy highly original writing that is authentic and thought-provoking.
- We aim to support and acknowledge beginner writers, so we only accept stories from writers who have been published fewer than four times in any genre, in any publication (for payment or otherwise). This does not include articles for community or work newsletters where the circulation is under 1000.
- Stories must not have been previously published. Entrants must own full copyright to the story submitted.
- Only one story per entrant is allowed.
- Only e-mail submissions are acceptable, with stories attached as Word Documents. Mark your entry clearly with the subject line: SAWC Annual Short Story Competition, and submit according to rules below.
- If you have not received an acknowledgement of your submission within three days, please re-send your entry.
- Queries and submissions must be sent to Nichola Meyer: Nichola@sawriterscollege.co.za
- Your first page of your Word document must include the story title, your name, email address and total number of words of the entry.
- Do not include your name on any page of your story, except the title page. All entries will be judged blind.
- Use a font such as Arial or Times New Roman, size 12 or more. Use 1.5 or double spacing between lines. We prefer a clear line between paragraphs rather than indenting.
- Make sure your story has been edited and polished according to tips and guidelines provided on our college site under “Writing Resources”.
View our Archived Competition Entries Here
- The competition is open to anyone living in South Africa over the age of 16.
- The competition closes at midnight on 31 March 2015. The shortlist is published on 18 April, and the winners will be announced and displayed on our website by 30 April 2015.
- Prizewinners will be notified via email as well as on our web site; please ensure you supply a valid email address with your entry.
- Prize money will be paid via electronic transfer.
- We only accept entries written in English.
- Entrant must own full copyright of the piece.
- Writers retain copyright, but give permission for their work to be displayed on our website.
- The judges' decision is final; no disputes will be entered into.
- If your entry has not been acknowledged within 72 hours, please contact us –your mail may have got lost in transit.
- SA Writers’ College reserves the right to extend the competition deadline, or cancel the competition should the entries not be of publishable quality or up to the required standard.